Friday, November 26, 2010

"HAPPY" Childrens' Day!!


All this talk about celebrating Childrens' Day has made me quite nostalgic. It's brought back a deluge of memories. Grandpa's constant pampering. Scooter rides with Dad. Playing all sorts of games with friends. Comics and books. Cartoons. An uncomplicated life, in short.

I really can't say the same for the kids today!! 
- An 8 yr old comes to me the other day and says "add me as a neighbour in Farmville"!!
Me: Do your parents know that you have a facebook account??
Him: Sure, they are the one's who created my profile. Infact, my mum, dad and aunt are all my neighbours. Oh, and do remember to gift me a cherry tree daily. I need more of them.
(Ah well, atleast they are talking the "Go Green" message seriously, even if it's only in the virtual world!!)
Me: What outdoor games do you play?
Him: Well I race to my house daily from school, does that count??
Me: It sure does!! Why do you do that though? Coz you get very hungry by then?
Him: Na..need to get back in time to harvest my crops else they'll wither!!
Ummm..ok!!

I am stumped and frankly appalled! What happened to hide and seek, stapoo, carroms and skipping? Why have reality shows demanding kids to dance and sing and crack adult jokes replaced Ducktales and Tom and Jerry?? And why would kids rather listen to their ipods than read Tintin and Famous Five!!

And parents are no less. After all it's their responsibility to ensure that their kids don't have their noses glued to the TV or laptop. And to top it all, they expect their kids to do everything. Clear IIT entrances and also be a swimming champ. Win the reality show while getting an A grade in school.

Life is not a race. Some effortlessly achieve their goals while others stumble around and discover their true calling. No need to take Mr Darwin seriously people, coz in the end everybody survives. Really. :)

No comments: