Tuesday, September 14, 2010

That Sinking Feeling

Yes, that's right. This is the feeling which the sight of water inspired in me earlier. And I thought what better way to conquer this fear than by learning swimming? And so the adventure began..:)

I was apprehensive, to say the least, on my first day of the lessons. At the sight of water, a panic attack set in but was quickly quelled when I caught some 3 and 5 year olds LAUGHING at me. huh!! With false bravado I stepped into the pool. The coach asked me to try floating. 5 seconds inside water and I was dying to get out. Which I couldn't. Instead I thrashed around wildly till the coach steadied me. (To my credit, the coach conceded he had never seen anybody do such astonishing somersaults before!! :))

One day the coach wanted me to jump inside the pool, that too from the deep end. Of course I said no. And of course my opinions are valued a lot.
"Just jump and push yourself off the floor of the pool and start swimming".
Sure. Do you want me to do a couple of pirouettes too?? And as I stood preparing to jump, a couple of bees decided it was an ideal time to come out and encourage me. "Jump in if you want to escape the bees" Thank You, Sir. Suddenly the proverb "between the devil and the deep sea" took on a whole new meaning.

Then came the diving lessons. "First the hands enter the water, then your face and then the rest of the body". And of course I followed the instructions to boot. By landing hard on my stomach.

Well eventually I did learn swimming properly. That occasion was marked by me getting a standing ovation from everybody. Just kidding. Or maybe not.

But overall it was an amazing experience. And even though I might not be an ace swimmer, I can atleast save myself from drowning. Bring on the pool parties people!! :)

1 comment:

Shanks said...

U shud have tested ur mettle in Kalmadi Wealth Games in Delhi ! He had a swimming pool where even the experts dared not to jump into :P fearing the water!

U never know :)